The imposing Carnegie Building was the site of Hobart’s first public library, funded by Scottish–American industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The building’s story dates back to 1860 when the local council borrowed money to build the Town Hall on condition that a library be included. It took more than a decade for the library to become established in the Town Hall, and by 1902 it had more than 100,000 users. Since the library moved to Murray Street in 1960, the Carnegie Building has been used as Council offices, an art gallery and is now home to the Maritime Museum of Tasmania.
Address: 16 Argyle St, Hobart
Highlights: Take a peek inside the original cellar and caretaker's flat
Building specs: Type: Library. Year Built: 1903-07.
Alan Cameron Walker and Douglas Salier