The Kangaroo Bluff battery was built in 1884 to stop enemy vessels from shelling Hobart Town and to support similar batteries at Domain and Battery Point. The pentagon-shaped fort includes cannons, ditches, tunnels and underground chambers cut from solid stone. The battery was declared an Historic Site in 1970 and is now a public reserve that provides sweeping views of the western shore and the Clarence coastline.
Address: Kangaroo Bluff, Bellerive
Highlights: Historic landscape, subterranean tunnels
Building specs: The Kangaroo Bluff Battery