Image: Natasha Newman

Built by Zeehan merchant E.J. Miller the theatre opened as the Strand after the New York theatre of the same name. Miller had travelled the United States searching for the best in cinema design and engaged Hobart architect Stanley Crisp. It was the only theatre to be equiped with a Wurlitzer organ. The interior featured the work of local crafts businesses as well as the latest projecting equipment from Britain. It closed in 1918 following claims of its role in ‘moral decay’ but this was short-lived as local businesses suffered from reduced patrons to the theatre.

In 1956, the theatre was redeveloped to its current condition and renamed the Odeon: Theatre of Tomorrow, but by 1970 with the advent of television, the theatre was passed to the ABC as a concert hall for the TSO. In recent years the theatre has served as the venue for church services and now has been revitalised as a venue for Dark Mofo performances.

Address: 169 Liverpool St, Hobart

Building specs: Type: Theatre. Built: Unknown, 1956. Architect: Stanley Crisp


[mc4wp_form id="1703"]