The Private Secretary’s Cottage is one of the oldest buildings in Tasmania – originally built as an outbuilding for the commissariat, and by the late 1820s was being used as a lumber store. Colonial architect John Lee Archer converted the building into a residence for Governor Arthur’s private secretary, providing a generous garden, views overlooking the harbour and proximity to the original Government House at present-day Franklin Square. The building was incorporated into the museum precinct in 1871, first as a residence for the curator and later for other staff. From the 1950s, it was used for offices and storage.
Address: Dunn Place, Hobart (enter via TMAG)
Highlights: Hobart’s oldest warehouse conversion
Building specs: Type: Cottage. Year Built: 1810s. Architect: John Lee Archer