Named for owner Captain Charles Bayley’s favourite ship, Runnymede was the Bayley family home for more than 100 years. Now in the care of the National Trust, the house contains a rich maritime collection as well as artworks and family possessions of the previous owner Bishop Francis Nixon, Tasmania’s first Anglican Bishop, and the house’s first owner, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the abolition of convict transportation. Runnymede survives with house, cottage and coach house, and an extensive garden. The garden features many historic trees and plants, including roses and fruit trees.

Address: 61 Bay Rd, New Town

Highlights: Heritage garden, gentleman's residence

Building specs: Type: Regency Villa. Year Built: 1840s. Architect: Unknown


[mc4wp_form id="1703"]