Image: Greek community of Tasmania

Consecrated in 1958, the Greek Orthodox Church of St George the Martyr was largely built by Greek community volunteers. The original building comprised the entry porch, narthex, nave and sanctuary. Really it was a small hall rather than a typical Greek Orthodox Church. A gift of adjoining land enabled the floor area to be doubled with the addition of a transept on either side of the existing nave. Openings with new circular columns were formed with circular arches. A new gallery was added over the narthex. The existing temple was kept and a new soleas added to the main entrance to the sanctuary. A new dome was added to reinforce the Byzantine style.

Address: 5 Antill St. Hobart

Highlights: Traditional Greek Orthodox Church

Building specs: Type: Church. Year Built: 1958, 1981. Architects: Hudson Roussos Architects


[mc4wp_form id="1703"]