St John’s Park is a historic group of convict-era buildings in New Town, including a church and a restored sanatorium chalet. The chalet is one of just two surviving huts from the consumptive sanatorium, which began operating in the early 20th century, in response to a tuberculosis outbreak.
Want to see Open House Hobart city buildings quickly? Why not ride? Thanks to the Bicycle Network Tas a bike rack will be set up at this location.
Bike racks will be set at 3 locations across the city:
- Royal Tennis Club
- Victoria Gunpowder Magazine
- Princes Park Magazine
Click here to join the Open House Hobart Historic Ride
Address: St John's Park, New Town
Building specs: Type: Various including a church and chalet. Year built: St Johns Church – 1834 and the Alan Rogers Chalet – 1906. Architects: Church – John Lee Archer, Chalet – Rudolph Koch